You are here
NFI: Set Goals
Step 2: Set Goals & Organize
- Treat the job search like a class or job – set specific hours, block off time in your calendar. You will earn far more than a grade or credit hours!!!
- Set a timeline with specific goals.
- Make yourself accountable to someone (mentor, faculty advisor, friend, career development specialist) Talk with a trusted friend; give them permission to hold you accountable to your plans. Starting/attending a job club would also enable you to discuss your job search with others.
- Track your contacts, actions taken, communications, interviews, referrals, results, and THANK YOUS. (HINT - set up an Excel spreadsheet – easy to use, easy to see, and good practice on a widely used job skill)
- Jibber Jobber - example Excel tracker
- Microsoft - Excel job search log
- Job Hunt - The "Dirty Dozen" internet job search mistakes